Organizational Alignment is hard to define and harder to master. Here’s a formula for building sustainable success.
As leaders and change agents, most of us have faced some common challenges:
- our vision of the future, clear in the past, has become cloudy
- goals and objectives, once clear and concise, have morphed into a complex tangle of competing priorities
- some team members have lost motivation and passion for the work
- stakeholders’ perceptions of where we are don’t match their expectations
- some team members have deep attachment to the status quo or fear of change
- some teams and team members have seemingly conflicting goals and agendas
- our customers (internal and external) seem difficult to satisfy and impossible to “wow”
- our processes aren’t enabling desired levels of performance and quality
- we seem to make many of the same mistakes over and over again, instead of learning from them
- it’s becoming increasingly hard to attract and retain the right people
- some of our metrics look good… but are they the right metrics?
In my experience, all of these can often be traced back to a lack of alignment. And a holistic approach to improving alignment can provide maximum leverage across many facets of the organization.
In my new eBook The P Principles Primer, I introduce a framework for assessing and improving alignment in any organization.
The P Principles include:
- Purpose – What we’re here to accomplish
- Passion – What our organization, and our people, care deeply about
- Products – What we make or do for our customers, and why they should buy it
- Priorities – The most important things we need to focus on right now
- Plans – How we’re going to get from where we are, to where we need to be
- Practices – How we communicate with and enable our teams to be effective
- Processes – How we organize and optimize the work we do together to produce value for our customers
- Performance – How we measure, incentivize and improve the performance of our teams and individuals
By evaluating and improving alignment in these eight dimensions, organizations can simultaneously improve their short-term results, their long-term viability, and the engagement and satisfaction of their stakeholders.
I’m working on a full-length book that explores these Principles in detail, as well as additional strategies for attaining them. But I decided to release this “primer” now, so my readers can begin applying these concepts immediately… for immediate results!
In the eBook, I discuss common challenges to organizational alignment, and actionable strategies for improving and maintaining alignment.
Get your FREE copy now, by using the simple form below. You’ll be subscribed to my Alignment Updates list, and you’ll get a confirmation email with a link to the download. Don’t worry, you can unsubscribe at any time… including immediately, if you really don’t want to get occasional emails with valuable info on Alignment. 🙂